Feedback on the war system/island system

I'm fairly new to this server as a whole, but I joined a bit after it's release. I joined through a friend that used to play this years ago, so that's my experience with this server.

Anywho, basically me and this friend made our island just today. We both invited some of our friends and had around 5 or 6 people on at one time for quite a while. After our very first island shield was up, we immediately got attacked. Now, you would think we had some type or armor or weapons by now, well, we didn't. Why? Because we were getting logs, stone and also me and my friend were teaching our other friends how to play and where everything even was. 1 hour of a shield just was not enough time to get up an armory or weaponsmith at all while also teaching new people how to play. So this is the very first issue I have of many. When we did end up getting attacked, we were severely out armored and out weaponed. While I had half chain and leather and my main friend that did the island with me had full chain, none of the other 4-5 people had any sort of armor whatsoever because all we had was a weaponsmith up at tier 1. We were fighting 2 people that had bows, stone swords, and full chain. We ended up losing because they gained more kills than us and severely outdid us. Our number of people did not matter. We got into multiple wars, but again, while we outnumbered them they all out armored and out weaponed us. We later on finally got our armory up. At this point, we all had at the very least leather and a wooden sword. We, again, got into several other wars while building the fletchers. No matter our great numbers against all these people (NONE of these attackers had more than 3 people) we were no match to those with ONE TIER UP in armor or weapons. After getting bows, we of course still ended up losing because of this armor and weapon problem. While we are constantly trying to upgrade and build our stuff to MATCH other islands, we simply can't because we keep getting interrupted by wars.

The biggest issue for me is that smaller/newer islands are literally getting bulldozed over and their numbers of people simply do not matter at all. Another issue in all of this is that the matchmaking for island wars is simply absurd. I do not want to keep fighting other islands that can do a 2 v 5-6 because of armor and weapons. It's simply unfair and actually very annoying.

My suggestions:
1. If there was some way for newer/smaller islands to at the very least get some kind of longer shield timers.
2. Maybe even an option for ANY island to not opt into wars depending on how old the island is.
3. Have the island matchmaking system be a lot better in determining if something is a fair fight.

1 AND/OR 2, but I'm definitely pushing for 3 at the very least to be a thing.

It makes you based on your points. It will pick an island within a 16 point gap.
This is still a very bad system to have for newer islands. Everyone starts at the same points, but not work up and be in a war system with similar islands. I was literally just in a war where it was 5v7, which is semi fair, but once again no matter our victory points we are still getting out armored and out weaponed. They had iron and we had chain n stone.

Edit: found out the 16 point gap/range is a lie :^)

Last edited:
You should not be losing a 5v2 if two of your players have close to equal gear to your attackers. This just means they were significantly better than you in PvP and as the current island 'spread' is nonexistent it will take a while for groups like them to gain rank and for groups like you to lose them. As the server has just started everyone is close enough to each other than new islands can get matched with competent PvPers and get crushed, this will likely get fixed with time.

EDIT: I do believe that there should be some sort of matchmaking besides rank, but I can see why there isn't. Ultimately you're supposed to be ranked where your island as a whole deserves to be, and nothing else really matters.

The current hit delay makes winning a 5v2 much more difficult than usual, and critical hits do nothing, which further decreases the ability for skill to influence combat.

The current hit delay makes winning a 5v2 much more difficult than usual, and critical hits do nothing, which further decreases the ability for skill to influence combat.
Crits haven't really ever been the most important factor, combos have always ruled supreme and having multiple players lets you corner someone and combo them into oblivion.
Regardless though, a 25% better sword and even 40% damage resist (which vanilla chainmail doesn't provide even to 5 damage weapons https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Armor) if u go 1 by 1 into a 2v5 they would STILL have less effective health than you do (and that assumes that you all have no armor and wood swords and both of them have chain and stone)

Their effective health = (10 / (1-40% DMG Resist) ) * 1.25 Damage = 20.83
20.83 * 2 = 41.6
Your effective health =
10 * 5 = 50

Basically you guys would just barely have an excuse in a 4v2 but in a 5v2 or higher you should win just about always, even without considering some guys having armor, the benefits of many players or even bows if u get those (and you should as they're OP even with the lag).

EDIT: Maths mofos xD

You should not be losing a 5v2 if two of your players have close to equal gear to your attackers. This just means they were significantly better than you in PvP and as the current island 'spread' is nonexistent it will take a while for groups like them to gain rank and for groups like you to lose them. As the server has just started everyone is close enough to each other than new islands can get matched with competent PvPers and get crushed, this will likely get fixed with time.

EDIT: I do believe that there should be some sort of matchmaking besides rank, but I can see why there isn't. Ultimately you're supposed to be ranked where your island as a whole deserves to be, and nothing else really matters.
We were losing a 5v2 because of their gear and weapons overpowering ours. I did say what they had vs what we had, which made it an unfair fight.

The ability for the attackers to get 5 hits for every 2 the defender gets makes a massive difference. with the amount the hit delay reduces the effect of skill, it means that the 5 attackers can kill one defender, have their most damaged player retreat, and kill the other defender without taking a single loss, assuming equal gear.
Also of note is that full chain provides about 48% damage protection on IC, assuming the developer was right when they said they calculated armor like LoL.

We were losing a 5v2 because of their gear and weapons overpowering ours. I did say what they had vs what we had, which made it an unfair fight.
Their effective health = (10 / (1-40% DMG Resist) ) * 1.25 Damage = 20.83
20.83 * 2 = 41.6
Your effective health =
10 * 5 = 50

Basically you guys would just barely have an excuse in a 4v2 but in a 5v2 or higher you should win just about always, even without considering some guys having armor, the benefits of many players or even bows if u get those (and you should as they're OP even with the lag).
Idk if I wasn't clear when I said this, but the gear didn't make it an unfair fight, it didn't even fully close the gap in effective HP that your numbers made, even with 48% DMG resist (would make their EHP be 48 vs your 50). And all of this assumes you had no armor which you admitted you didn't.

Basically it's a combination of low skill and a lack of strategy that made you guys lose. If there is truly a disadvantage in having higher numbers you guys should have been 1v2ing them one by one until you drained them, and if not, you should have just won outright or at least not as spectacularly. This is a competitive game, if you are worse, you will lose.

Idk if I wasn't clear when I said this, but the gear didn't make it an unfair fight, it didn't even fully close the gap in effective HP that your numbers made, even with 48% DMG resist (would make their EHP be 48 vs your 50). And all of this assumes you had no armor which you admitted you didn't.

Basically it's a combination of low skill and a lack of strategy that made you guys lose. If there is truly a disadvantage in having higher numbers you guys should have been 1v2ing them one by one until you drained them, and if not, you should have just won outright or at least not as spectacularly. This is a competitive game, if you are worse, you will lose.
You can math all you want tbh, we have some pretty skilled pvpers playing with us. We definitely know it was because of the armor and weapon disadvantage. A wood sword vs stone swords and then leather vs chain. That's really all there is to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chain provides over 2x the protection of leather, assuming full chain stone sword vs full leather wood sword, it would take 10 hits for a chain person to die, and 5 hits for the leather person to die. It seems reasonable that a kill advantage would be easy to get for the 2 people in chain when you do the math.

My advice is to attempt to prevent them from getting the crux star in that situation, by utilizing the bow with advantageous locations such as the top of the mine tunnel and the crux in the area of logging camp that has logs.

Last edited:
It is ok, Island Clash's custom armor system is quite confusing, and I only really got it after listening to the dev. The math im doing is 100/100+a (a=armor value), and that is just based off the dev saying that they do armor like LoL, so it is possible that I am wrong when it comes to armor protection.