Discussion Lack of Community Interaction

Starlessly

Clasher
Mar 24, 2019
Hello! As you know my name is Starlessly and I am an alpha tester here on Island Clash. Recently when I have been just chatting to the community I have seen one problem in particular that has been bugging me. In my own opinion, I believe the Management / Owners haven't been very interactive with the community. I think this because I haven't seen much interaction unless someone is asking what's going on or where are spoilers etc. I think that you guy's shouldn't really say the word "soon" in your announcements. This goes for not saying an exact date because as it stands so many people are asking where are spoilers when they see the announcement of it saying they will be released soon. I personally think that you should be more clear on when you give these type of announcements. Not only does saying the word soon throw a lot of people off and then not following up on it for some time will leave others wondering how long it will actually be until they get said promised announcement. Like for example on the FAQ and when the FAQ was first posted on the forums on the 26th of February you guys estimated for a release in 1 - 2 months. This estimation is still thrown around even a few months after that FAQ was posted. Estimation dates are what throw people off.

I think how you can fix this is by not giving an estimation date or using the word "Soon" in fact I think a better way to say this should be "We will release spoilers when we are able too" not by saying "soon" this would cause a lot less frustration with the time it takes and if you explain why it's taking longer than you thought (like the estimation date) you should update the community so they aren't left in the shadows. I also believe that promising the community something and not following through to what you guys say is something that shouldn't be happening.

This is my idea and what I think is wrong so far. Thanks for reading!

NebulaPlayz

Alpha Tester
Mar 24, 2019
Oblivion
Hello! As you know my name is Starlessly and I am an alpha tester here on Island Clash. Recently when I have been just chatting to the community I have seen one problem in particular that has been bugging me. In my own opinion, I believe the Management / Owners haven't been very interactive with the community. I think this because I haven't seen much interaction unless someone is asking what's going on or where are spoilers etc. I think that you guy's shouldn't really say the word "soon" in your announcements. This goes for not saying an exact date because as it stands so many people are asking where are spoilers when they see the announcement of it saying they will be released soon. I personally think that you should be more clear on when you give these type of announcements. Not only does saying the word soon throw a lot of people off and then not following up on it for some time will leave others wondering how long it will actually be until they get said promised announcement. Like for example on the FAQ and when the FAQ was first posted on the forums on the 26th of February you guys estimated for a release in 1 - 2 months. This estimation is still thrown around even a few months after that FAQ was posted. Estimation dates are what throw people off.

I think how you can fix this is by not giving an estimation date or using the word "Soon" in fact I think a better way to say this should be "We will release spoilers when we are able too" not by saying "soon" this would cause a lot less frustration with the time it takes and if you explain why it's taking longer than you thought (like the estimation date) you should update the community so they aren't left in the shadows. I also believe that promising the community something and not following through to what you guys say is something that shouldn't be happening.

This is my idea and what I think is wrong so far. Thanks for reading!
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Management, from what I've seen so far, hasn't stayed too active with the community. No offense to anyone in management, of course. I know it's hard to attempt to bring back a server from the dead, and the misguided hype has led many players to believe that Island Clash will be returning soon. Quoted from Beth in the #announcements channel - "Also, we know you are all eager to see progress with the server, we will have an update soon explaining what has been going on. Weekly updates and spoilers?"

What does soon mean? I think this is a good attempt at bringing in the hype but as Starlessly said already, the word soon is extremely vague and doesn't really give a good estimate. For instance, push out these announcements when you are close to being able to release the updates so you can actually give an accurate release of the said update. Say, May 5th or something. This will help players actually look forward to future announcements and teasers and not be disappointed.

EDIT: As seen by the activity on the forums and in the discord, it seems like the hype is dying fast and the motivation to continue to follow this server is collapsing. No pressure on management, but something needs to be done relatively soon.

Good discussion! :)

Last edited:

pledge

Alpha Tester
Mar 24, 2019
My thoughts on all of this are that why are asking for too much, we constantly have asked for a date and new users who are finding the server are as well which is why the team did create an estimated date if they didn't create a date I think a lot of us would have continuously nagged and possibly be disappointed and lose interest. From what I've been told the IC team thought this would be a realistic date and they believed that they could achieve that, but as we have seen there were some issues which had delayed the date of the release which is understandable nothing is perfect the first time around and developing a server isn't exactly easy so this is expected. But onto the terms that were used in these "promises", I think that they shouldn't have been used as they can be easily misjudged and the server was hyped too early but there's nothing that can be done about that but in all honesty, from the standpoint I'm looking the use of soon is appropriate as there was already the April Fools trailer so there is stuff that can be used for sneak peeks it just needs to be done and the announcement was just made over a week ago I think we can give it a little longer.

I think how you can fix this is by not giving an estimation date or using the word "Soon" in fact I think a better way to say this should be "We will release spoilers when we are able too"
I don't think this would fix anything and I would be more annoyed if I was given a message like this because I wasn't given a date/time at all and I wouldn't know when to expect it by using terms like "soon" we know that we won't have to wait 2 months for something to announce. But I do believe that something should have been said when they went over the estimated date to clear it up just a bit.

Edit: other than the odd announcement about sneak peeks and just a small update on how development is going, just a simple "Development is going well and a lot has been done/sorted in the past week" would be fine. I don't expect anything else from the management team, the server isn't released yet and is still in development so I don't expect community events or spend time keeping the chat active.

Last edited:

iTz_NightWolf

Clasher
Apr 11, 2019
Israel
I agree with what you are saying.
I have been wondering for so long if the server will open again , and finally i found out it will be reopened.
But i have been expecting to get updates about how to server is going and getting some photos on twitter or on forums on how its been going on and how its looking.
But the forums and twitter is dead silent and i know that people are getting annoyed by that.
I think that the owners or management team should start being more active towards the community.

NebulaPlayz

Alpha Tester
Mar 24, 2019
Oblivion
I agree we will start by doing sneak peeks soon. Anything else do you guys want from us in terms of updates?
As mentioned, just progress reports and encouragement that the server is in a good state of development. We all know that it's hard especially with the hype surrounding this server and whatnot, but some consistent progress reports or sneak peaks (even if they are slight) will help :)